A series on Church Dream Themes by Lynmarie Burg
I’m sure many of our site members are church-goers. Others grew up in church but eventually became disillusioned. A number of you attend church but are dissatisfied and question if there’s a better place for you. Some continue to search, but can’t seem to find a fit.
Others are delighted with their fellowship and are highly involved leaders. You may even be a pastor. Whatever the case, the majority who attend regularly find themselves in a different denomination than they grew up in.
Enter the church mouse!… present in the sanctuary, church office, and then some. He sees everything, holds sacred secrets, and could provide vital insight into the affairs and state of the local church.
What’s really cool is that those of us who receive and are able to make some sense of prophetic dreams, have access to the Voice of Truth. It’s like conversing with that proverbial church mouse.
There’s much to be said for understanding church dream themes. What do dreams of your church mean? An unfamiliar church? A United church? A childhood church?
What dream elements besides the church building itself can symbolize a local fellowship?
In this series, I’ll also share what kinds of things the Lord told me through church dreams, and some things I see is going on in today’s churches.
Let’s dive into those questions today. Funny I would say dive in… because a dream of diving in a lake may very well be about your church! So I’ll begin with discussing the symbolism.
Church Dream Themes- Symbolic Elements
Consider first that: just as Jesus loved to use parables to make a point, this communication style is still favored by our Lord… especially as He speaks to us individually in dreams and visions. Here are a few examples of dream elements which may symbolize a church body.
• LAKES— So why would a lake symbolize a church? Well— just as the sea symbolizes the masses of people as in Revelation 13:1- And I saw a beast coming out of the sea (the anti-Christ arising out of the masses of the earth)— so a lake may symbolize a much smaller group of people… like a church.
It’s a great symbol actually. You have the water symbolism which can also depict the Spirit of God which we can freely SWIM in. Then there’s the idea of going deep, as in taking in the deep things of the Lord from the scripture.
• WOMEN— The body of Christ worldwide is called the Bride of Christ, Revelation 19:7. For that reason, we see women in dreams symbolizing individual fellowships.
• TREES— One scriptural symbol for the church as a whole is a tree as utilized in Romans 11:11-20. Trees are also used in the Bible to symbolize nations, rulers, and individuals. Trees, therefore, are sometimes used by God to depict local churches.
• HOUSES— “The House of God” is one of the names given to the Tabernacle and subsequently the Temple at Jerusalem, the places where God dwelt with his people. Houses in dreams can represent situations of any kind, and most assuredly, a local church congregation.
• AUDITORIUMS— Auditoriums hold large numbers of people. Regardless of the building style of your church, God could speak to you about the body of believers you fellowship with from the seats of an auditorium (not to be confused with a theater).
• UNFAMILIAR CHURCHES— God commonly speaks of local churches through unfamiliar church buildings. You know the dream is about your church, but the building looks nothing like it. Why? A couple of reasons are obvious. 1) So we won’t get lost focusing on the literal visual details of the church. 2) So God can depict the situation with some symbolism.
• SHIPS— Cruise ships, whether large or small, depict in dreams something that makes an impact on people, and churches as well as ministries and universities certainly do that. The larger the body of water and size of ship, the larger the impact and congregation.
• SCHOOL BUSES— These big yellow buses generally symbolize ministries within churches or para-church ministries, but may represent a small denominational or non-denominational church.
• TRAIN CARS— Trains often symbolize other things; heavy things like death or losing a home. But because they carry a number of cars, denominational churches can be symbolized by these cars.
So there you have several dream elements which we’ve seen symbolize churches time after time.
The next posts will address: United Churches, Revisiting Childhood Churches, Literal Churches, Noteworthy Church Dream Stories, and Some Things Going on in Today’s Churches.
Please comment with Church Dream Theme questions and stories!