THE UNIVERSAL & BIBLICAL IMPLICATIONS OF NUMBERS
• Use of the term number in the scripture emphasizes the perfection of God’s acts (Lk 12:7, Psalm 147:4, Isaiah 40:26).
• Numbers in the Bible may be interpreted one or a combination of these ways:
Literary- as in Psalm 119 where 22 stanzas correspond to 22 Hebrew letter
Conventional- noting immeasurable amounts (Gen 41:49, forgive 70 x 7)
Rhetorical– figuratively/poetically to give unique meanings (Mt 24: 31)
Gematria– assigning numerical value to the Greek and Hebrew alphabetic (Rev 13:18)
Symbolic– established by contexts and patters
• Meanings assigned to numbers in dreams arise from universal connotations as well as patterns of their use in the scripture.
• Numbers when in conjunction with money may be interpreted as loss or gain of favor or loss or gain of the meaning of that number.
• The addition of zeros after numbers indicates increase of impact or importance. The size of the issue increases proportionately.
1= Unity, or uniqueness
More than 2000 uses in the Bible, many expressing the singular, but others with symbolic meanings
• With reference to God, “Hear O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one” (Deut 6:4,
Mk 12:29). The one God, the only God, no levels of deity; He stands alone.
• With reference to Jesus, one with the Father (Jn 17: 21-23).
• With reference to the body of Christ, brothers and sisters as one (I Cor 12, Acts 4:32, Mt 23:8-10)
• With reference to the uniqueness of individuals (parable of lost sheep- Lk 15:1-10, in reference to
tempting “one of these little ones who believe in me” Mt 18:6)
2= Confirmation, agreement, covenant (or possibly division, separation)
No number is more important as its 559 references indicate. It appears in creation and procreation.
• God’s pairs form the earth: male and female, heaven and earth, day and night, land and sea,
light and darkness
• Two sides of the cosmic battle: good and evil
• Choice– the foundation structure of human choice is between contrary possibilities. Deut 30:15-19
“I set before you life and prosperity, death and destruction . . blessings and curses. Now choose life.”
• New life comes out of the union of two
• “Two are better than one” Eccles 4:9-10
• Most of the patriarchal offspring come in twos: Cain and Able, Isaac and Ishmael, Jacob and Esau
• There were two tablets of stone inscribed by god and given to Moses on Mt. Sinai
• Jesus said that “All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments” Mt 22:37-40
• Two is the minimum number of witnesses or to be sent on assignments– Jesus sent them out two by
two, 2 spies
3= Utter completeness
• Three is the minimum number necessary to establish a pattern. Chance, coincidence, pattern.
Thus three points to something yet to unfold, yet conveys a sense of completeness.
• Peter utterly denied Christ when he did it three times
• Pilate tried to release Jesus three times
• The chief priests and rulers rejected Christ three times
• Jesus raised from the dead after three days just as Jonah was in the belly of the whale three days
This victory over death implies total, sufficient, and utter completeness at its highest level
• 30 is the number of consecration, dedication, maturity for ministry, the Blood of Christ
(Numbers 4:3; 2 Sam 5:4; Luke 3:23; Mt 26:15)
4= The world, creation, universality
• The world. Four directions, four winds (10 references), four corners of the earth (Rev 7:1), and
four sides or corners of a building (Ezek 42:20; 46:21).
• The four representatives of the world as in “every tribe, tongue, people, and nation” is mentioned
seven times in Revelation, each time underscoring the world’s response to Christ, either
acceptance or rebellion.
• The intensity of what the world finally comes to before Jesus steps in is symbolized in
the four beasts, four heads, four kings, four living creatures, four angels, four horns, and four
faces from Revelation and Ezekiel.
• The house of God set up in the world is filled with the imagery of the number four as in four
rings of gold, four cups, four pillars, four horns, four bronze rings, four rows of precious stones.
• Universality within the world.
• Naming extremes– north, south, east, west– suggests everything in between.
• The passages using the terms “every tribe, tongue, people, and nation” also suggest the universal
potential for salvation and judgment.
5= Responsibility of man as the recipient of God’s grace
This number is mentioned 318 times in scripture and always in relation to God’s goodness and grace toward man.
• It is a significant number in connection to the measurements of the tabernacle, God’s house with us
• There were five offerings on the alter of sacrifice: the burnt offering, the peace offering, the sin
offering, the trespass offering, the meat offering.
• The Pentateuch makes known God’s requirements for receiving grace.
• The New Testament 5-fold ministry reveals God’s grace as he works through us.
• David chose five smooth stones to stand against Goliath.
• The ten commandments are two sets of five; the first in relation to God and the second in relation to
our fellow man.
• There were five wise and five foolish virgins
• We have five fingers on each hand and five toes on each foot, the foundation of the decimal system
Human weakness, the potential for greatness falling short, manifestation of sin
Man-made or artificial
Satan’s influence over man
• Six falls short of the perfect seven
• Man was created on the sixth day, and his appointed days of labor are six.
• The land was to be sown for six years.
• The kingdoms of this world are to last 6000 years.
• Moses had to wait six days on the mount before God revealed himself to him.
• Nebuchadnezzar’s golden image to be bowed down to stood 60 cubits high and 60 wide.
• This number often carries intensely evil significance. The serpent was the sixth character to be
revealed in Genesis. Satan is also connected with revelation’s sixth vial and sixth judgment.
7= Perfection, totality, finality, fullness of time
• God created the world in seven days, hence the seven day week.
• Blood was sprinkled over a sacrifice seven times.
• John sees the lamb as having seven horns, seven eyes, and seven spirits of God.
• There are to be seven seal openings and seven trumpet blasts in the end days.
• The seven heads of the dragon and beast in revelation represent the totality of opposition to God.
• There are seven church in Revelation 2-3.
8= New beginning
• Since seven is the number of completion, eight signifies a new beginning and stands for
the new replacing the old.
• Since God set up weeks as seven days, the eighth day is really the first day of a new week.
• Since four is the number of creation, eight is the number of a new creation.
• There were eight persons saved from the great flood to repopulate the world.
• It was on the eighth day, the day after the weekly Sabbath that Jesus arose from the dead.
• The circumcision of the new born male, the next generation, took place eighth days after birth.
• Aaron and his sons entered their priestly work on the eighth day after consecration. (Lev 9)
• Since the musical scales consist of seven note, the eighth note is the first note of the same scale an octave higher.
• the number of the teacher who brings fresh information
9= Divine finality, fullness, fullness of time, fruitfulness
• It is 3 x 3
• There are nine fruits of Spirit and nine gifts of the Holy Spirit
• Nine comes after eight; after a new beginning comes fruit
The fruit of the Spirit is available after spiritual rebirth
• Jesus shared nine beatitudes pointing the way to the fruitfulness of the Kingdom of heaven
• From the cross Jesus cried, “it is finished,” and died at the ninth hour
• Nine months is the rounded off number symbolizing fruit of the womb
•The number of the Holy Spirit
•The number of the evangelist who brings good news
10= opportunity for testimony through a responsibility offered
Testing as an opportunity for victory and testimony
A testimony intended to arise out of a test… test becomes a testimony
- There are 10 commandments. The law requires duty. God’s chosen people were responsible under the law to keep the commandments and bear out the resulting testimony, which would be God’s favor upon them.
- When Abraham prayed for God to save Sodom, he suggested God do so for the sake of 10 righteous people. Had there been 10 who were obedient God’s commandments, they would have caused an entirely opposite testimony concerning Sodom and Gomorrah.
- Before the flood, there were 10 patriarchs called to bear out testimony of God’s goodness and power
through their obedience to His voice
- There were 10 plagues upon Pharaoh and Egypt. These bore testimony of God’s reward for Moses’ faithfulness.
- The TITHE is an opportunity to bring testimony from duty
- The number 10 is found 242 times in the Bible and “tenth” 79 times.
- Luke 19 documents the parable of the 10 servants who were entrusted with 10 pounds and rewarded with authority over ten cities
- Ten was used in the parable of the virgins who needed to be prepared as it was the number required to constitute legal function
- Ten is the number of vices listed in 1 Corinthians 6: 9-10 which exclude people from the Kingdom of God. Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
- Likewise, 10 is the number of things that are powerless against the LOVE OF GOD (Rom 8:38-39) For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- In the last days, the anti-Christ will rule from the 10-king confederation. Those on the earth will have the opportunity to choose NOT to take the Mark of the Beast, the final test leading to testimony. Revelation 12:11 tells us that there will be believers who overcome the power of the Anti-Christ by the blood of the Lamb and the word of their testimony. (These folks will die physically, but will live on eternally, thus overcoming the power of death in the hands of the Anti-Christ.)
- The boards of the Tabernacle were 10 cubits long. There were 10 linen curtains over the top, and 10 pillars on the west side of the court.
- We all know that Jesus was the fulfillment of the Old Testament sacrifices. 1 Cor 5:7 calls him “the Passover Lamb.” Did you know that in the initial Passover in Egypt, the Passover lambs were selected the 10th day of their first month?
Exodus 12:1-3. The Lord said to Moses and Aaron in the land of Egypt, “This month shall be for you the beginning of months. It shall be the first month of the year for you. Tell all the congregation of Israel that on the tenth day of this month every man shall take a lamb according to their fathers’ houses, a lamb for a household.”
- Man was created by God with 10 fingers and 10 toes, a constant reminder that he is intended to be faithful to his God-given responsibility, thus ushering in testimony.
- The number of the pastor who is responsible to God for his flock
11= Disorganization, confusion, disintegration, overthrow through judgment OR
Nearing the End of a Season as in the 11th Hour (which could be positive)
• Used 24 times in scripture
• Eleven falls short of twelve
• There were eleven judgments that came upon Egypt: ten plagues and the drowning in the Red Sea
• Zedekiah, a wicked king, reigned 11 years and was then captured and taken to Babylon (Jer 52:1)
• Eleven days stood between the Hebrews in the wilderness and their judgment at Kadesh-Barnea by
refusing to take the advise of Joshua and Caleb to go up and take the Promised Land. (Num 13 & 14)
• concerning the Great white throne Judgment, John saw eleven things (Rev 20:11-15)
• A number of the Antichrist– the 11th horn, the little horn (Dan 7:7-8)
• The number of the prophet– 1 Cor 13:9-10: For we know in part and we prophesy in part;
but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away.
12= Administration, divine government by appointment, authority, leadership
• Used 187 times in the Bible
• Twelve tribes of Israel
• Twelve disciples
• Twelve apostles
• Twelve thrones for ruling from heaven
• Twelve palm trees and wells of water to quench the Israelite’s thirst (Ex 15:27)
• Twelve months of the year
• Twelve constellations; the 12 chapter gospel in the sky through these
• In the book of revelation, there is a woman with 12 stars in her crown and there are twelve gates in
the new Jerusalem with twelve angels at the gates, and twelve manner of fruits. The city measures
12,000 furlongs three dimensionally (Rev 21 & 22).
• The number of the apostle
13= Depravity. rebellion, falling away, apostasy
• Found just 15 times in the scriptures
• All names of Satan in scripture are mathematically divisible by 13
• When Jesus described the depraved and rebellious heart, he listed 13 things (Mark 7:21-22)
Deliverance or salvation.
Receiving $14 in a dream prophesies receiving deliverance of salvation.
Receiving $15 in a dream prophesies receiving a season of rest.
Paying $15 in a dream prophesies that the next season includes work, which may be a good thing.
Receiving $16 in a dream prophesies receiving love.
Paying $16 in a dream prophesies giving love.
Receiving $17 in a dream prophesies receiving victory.
Bondage or Oppression
The number is used 288 times in the scripture
• Twenty is found often in conjunction with silver (which symbolizes redemption as well), especially in
the building of the tabernacle; twenty pillars, fillets, and hooks.
• Hebrew males were mandated to offer a ransom of twenty gerahs for their souls at age twenty
• In the wilderness, all those below twenty years old would be allowed into the Promised Land
• Jacob labored twenty years in the house of Laban to receive his redemption
The exceeding sinfulness of sin
Light, illumination, revelation
Death of end of something
Forgiveness, beginning of ministry training.
The gospel of Christ, outreach, evangelism
The preaching of the gospel, evangelism
The blood of Christ, dedication
Naming of a son
The Word of God
40 symbolizes the world’s testing, a probation period ending in victory or defeat
• Israel wandered forty years in the wilderness before coming into the Promised Land.
• Jesus fasted forty days before the temptation of Satan and his ministry
• Jonah preached forty days to Nineveh
• Elijah fled to Mt. Horeb for forty days
• Ezekiel was called to lie on his right side for forty days symbolizing the forty years of Judah’s
Israel’s oppression or the Lord’s advent
50 is the number of liberty. Pentecost is the Hebrew word for fifty. It is the year of Jubilee.
70 is a tenfold multiplication of seven, an increased impact of perfection.
• Israel counted the nations of their day as 70.
• There were 70 elders chosen by Moses (Num 11:16) forming the basis for the Jewish Council
called the Sanhedrin.
• The descendents of Shem, Ham, and Japheth who repopulated the earth were 70.
• Jacob’s family to came down to Egypt at Joseph’s request to be saved from starvation were 70.
This group was used to form the nation of Israel.
• Israel lived in exile in Babylonian captivity 70 years, the consequences for disobedience.
They had disobeyed the commandment to let the land rest every seventh year for 490 years,
Thus the chastisement was equal to the sin– 70 years.
• 70 years is a full human life span in Ps 90:10 and Isaiah 23:15).
• Daniel prophesied 70 weeks until the coming of the Lord.
• Jesus chose 70 to go forth in his name (Luke 10).
God’s election of grace.
Children of promise.
Resurrection day, the Lord’s Day
The Spirit-Guided Life
666 symbolizes man independent of God, multiplied to his fullness.
Full lawlessness. Number of the beast, Satan. Dan 3 & 7; I Sam 17; Rev 2:18; 14;9-11
888 is the Gematria number for Jesus and symbolizes resurrection
Divine completeness and the glory of God